Wednesday 5 June 2013

Delight

Written by Meagan, missionary with Namwianga orphanage, and spoken at Christianna's Memorial service held there:

"I think the thing that's so hard to grasp about Christianna's death is that she was the essence of life.  She overflowed with life and joy and spirit and energy.

If you wanted to find Christianna when she was here at the Haven, the first two places you'd look would be up in the tree in the play yard or by the mulberry bush, mouth COVERED in mulberry stains, grinning away.  But when she wasn't there, she was holding and loving on babies, a role that I know was so special to her.

While she was fun and spunky, she had such a depth to her that is so evident by how she lived, even at 10 years old.  Just a couple weeks ago she and Rob showed up to get a count for how many baby dolls she was making for our babies.  She always was thinking of something special to do for them.  I'll always remember her running into their lab, swimsuit on and fresh from the pool, coming to help Christa run some tests on baby Priscilla's blood, not many kids would forgo the pool to do that, but that's who she was.  She had a heart that wanted to be a part of serving and loving God's children.

We have two little boys, one named Oscar and one named Nelson.  I think the picture and voice I'll always remember of Christianna forever in my mind is of her the day before she died.  Christa and I were looking at a baby, and Acacia and Christianna were in the room checking out all the babies.  Christianna said, "I wouldn't probably have named a baby Oscar, but that's the sweetest Oscar I've ever seen.  I probably wouldn't have named a baby Nelson, but that's the sweetest Nelson I've ever seen!" That's just a precious memory to me.

Kahlil Gibran wrote, "When you are sorrowful, look again to your own heart, and you should see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight."

The Murphy family and Christianna are so special to us, and we weep with you because Christianna was pure delight."





1 comment:

  1. I find myself craving to hear more stories of Chrisitanna. Each story is a beautiful painting, a rare treasure, with the touch of gentleness. Thank you, Meagan.

    ReplyDelete